ultimate choc drip cake
ultimate choc drip cake
for the top tier 6-inch cake:
for the bottom tier 8-inch cake:
for the chocolate meringue buttercream (filling & coating for the 6 inch cake)
150g egg whites
(about 5 large egg whites)
300g caster sugar
300g room temperature, unsalted butter
1 bar of Tony’s dark chocolate
for the chocolate drips:
70g Tony’s dark chocolate
100ml whipping cream
method for the 6-inch cake:
1. Preheat your oven to 170°C on fan
2. Grease and line 2 x 6-inch cake tins
3. Heat the butter in a saucepan on a low temperature until it's fully melted but not bubbling
4. Combine the melted butter and the sugar in a large bowl using a whisk
5. Add in the eggs and mix together to fully combine
6. Sift in the flour (and baking powder if using plain flour), cocoa powder and baking soda and mix until fully incorporates
7. Add in the yoghurt and mix in until the batter in completely smooth
8. Evenly distribute the batter between the two tins (approx. 550g per tin)
9. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until the cakes are fully baked through, springing back to the touch
10. Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack
Tip: Bake your cakes the day before decorating. Once the cakes have cooled, wrap them in clingfilm and leave at room temperature - not in the fridge.
It's much easier to decorate a cake the day after it's been cooked! Less crumbs!
method for the chocolate meringue buttercream (filling & coating for the 6-inch cake)
1. In a stand mixer bowl or metal/glass bowl, mix the egg white and caster sugar using a rubber spatula, until fully incorporated
2. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and continue mixing the sugar and egg whites with the spatula
3. Heat up this mixture until it reaches 65°C and the sugar has completely dissolved, continuously mixing to ensure the temperature remains even throughout
4. Place onto a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, or use an electric hand whisk and whisk the egg whites and sugar until a thick and glossy meringue has formed (approx. 5-10 minutes)
5. Once a thick glossy meringue, leave the bowl and meringue to cool completely at room temperature
6. Meanwhile, break up the Tony's chocolate bar into a heat proof bowl and melt the chocolate in the microwave at 30 seconds bursts or over the pan of water that you used before
7. Once melted, leave to one side and let's finish off the buttercream!
8. Start whisking the meringue again on a slow-medium speed
9. Gradually add cubes of butter into the whisking meringue
10. Once all the butter is inside the meringue, continue whisking at the same speed until it thickens and totally changes consistency (it may look like it's splitting but that's a good sign!)
11. Turn up the speed high and whisk until the buttercream has come together and all the butter has mixed in
12. Fold in the melted chocolate into the buttercream with a spatula until fully incorporated
*if the buttercream is quite soft, place the bowl into the fridge for 10-15 minutes and then re whisk it.
method for the chocolate drips:
1. To make the chocolate ganache drips, simply melt the chocolate and cream together.
2. Either in the microwave at 30 second bursts or heat the cream in a small saucepan and once it's steaming, add the chocolate and let the steam of the cream melt the chocolate.
3. The ganache should be quite loose; you may need to add more cream to achieve the correct consistency.