ultimate choc drip cake
ultimate choc drip cake
for the 6-inch cake:
for the 6 inch cake:
250g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade caster sugar
200g (4) eggs
200g Doves self raising flour
50g Fairtrade cocoa powder
1 tsp Doves baking soda
150g plain yoghurt
for the chocolate meringue buttercream (filling & coating for the 6 inch cake)
150g egg whites
(about 5 large egg whites)
300g caster sugar
300g room temperature, unsalted butter
1 bar of Tony’s dark chocolate
for the chocolate drips:
70g Tony’s dark chocolate
100ml whipping cream
Method for the 6-inch cake:
- Preheat your oven to 170°C on fan
- Grease and line 2 x 6-inch cake tins
- Heat the butter in a saucepan on a low temperature until it's fully melted but not bubbling
- Combine the melted butter and the sugar in a large bowl using a whisk
- Add in the eggs and mix together to fully combine
- Sift in the flour (and baking powder if using plain flour), cocoa powder and baking soda and mix until fully incorporates
- Add in the yoghurt and mix in until the batter in completely smooth
- Evenly distribute the batter between the two tins (approx. 550g per tin)
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until the cakes are fully baked through, springing back to the touch
- Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack
Tip: Bake your cakes the day before decorating. Once the cakes have cooled, wrap them in clingfilm and leave at room temperature - not in the fridge.
It's much easier to decorate a cake the day after it's been cooked! Less crumbs!
Method for the chocolate meringue buttercream (filling & coating for the 6-inch cake)
- In a stand mixer bowl or metal/glass bowl, mix the egg white and caster sugar using a rubber spatula, until fully incorporated
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and continue mixing the sugar and egg whites with the spatula
- Heat up this mixture until it reaches 65°C and the sugar has completely dissolved, continuously mixing to ensure the temperature remains even throughout
- Place onto a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, or use an electric hand whisk and whisk the egg whites and sugar until a thick and glossy meringue has formed (approx. 5-10 minutes)
- Once a thick glossy meringue, leave the bowl and meringue to cool completely at room temperature
- Meanwhile, break up the Tony's chocolate bar into a heat proof bowl and melt the chocolate in the microwave at 30 seconds bursts or over the pan of water that you used before
- Once melted, leave to one side and let's finish off the buttercream!
- Start whisking the meringue again on a slow-medium speed
- Gradually add cubes of butter into the whisking meringue
- Once all the butter is inside the meringue, continue whisking at the same speed until it thickens and totally changes consistency (it may look like it's splitting but that's a good sign!)
- Turn up the speed high and whisk until the buttercream has come together and all the butter has mixed in
- Fold in the melted chocolate into the buttercream with a spatula until fully incorporated
*if the buttercream is quite soft, place the bowl into the fridge for 10-15 minutes and then re whisk it.
Method for the chocolate drips:
- To make the chocolate ganache drips, simply melt the chocolate and cream together.
- Either in the microwave at 30 second bursts or heat the cream in a small saucepan and once it's steaming, add the chocolate and let the steam of the cream melt the chocolate.
- The ganache should be quite loose; you may need to add more cream to achieve the correct consistency.